Welcome to the 2013 Kananaskis Whitewater Festival
This is the 20th year of Kanfest!
To register,click the “registration”link in the menu bar above. By clicking that button (not the ones below),you will see instructions on how to register. For course descriptions,please click the “register”button beside the course (this will not force you to register).
For this 20th year,we are going to have a Throwback Throwdown,to pay homage to the playboaters of yesteryear and their styles! For this surf-off type of event,to happen at Hollywood, boats must be 8-1/2′in length and have a displacement or semi-planing hull (think the Godzilla,Frankenstein,Dancer,Response,Jive). We are working on having a few old style ones that fit this bill for people to use. There will be a handicap factor for boat length (and maybe other things). Points awarded for paddling/playboating style as well as attire style! Check this link for an idea of what we mean!
We have lots of fun planned for this year:
- Events such as the ball race,downriver race,and boatercross,as well as a creekboat slalom race (new this year).
- There will be categories for (combinations of) juniors,beginners,intermediates,and advanced paddlers;men &ladies;K1,C1,OC,and SUP as necessary
- Kayak clinics for dry-behind-the-ears beginners right on up to advanced playboaters
- NEW! Check out our full day beginner course specifically for kids aged 9-14,and registration discount for participant kids 13 and under!
- Stand-up paddleboarding clinics for green beginners (on the lake) and some aimed at whitewater kayakers transitioning to a board in the river
- Lots of demo boats available to try out from the local paddling shops!
- A dance featuring live performer Shane Philip!
- Lots of great prizes to win!
- An auction where you can pick up a great deal on some gear,hosted by our auctioneer/comedian Colin Bennett (proceeds go toward putting on the festival/improving the river)!
- Breakfasts &Saturday dinner provided with volunteer help from the Paddle Junkies!
- 20th anniversary fun!
When:August 9th –11th,2013
Where: Canoe Meadows,Kananaskis River
What is a Whitewater Festival?
KWF is a gathering of whitewater kayaking enthusiasts for a weekend of total FUN. It’s a chance to get out on the water,take a clinic or go on a guided run. If you’re interested in a little friendly competition you can enter events such as the freestyle rodeo,boater cross,team ball race and much more. There’s also lots going on off the water as well;BBQ,throwbag toss,live music,massage,demos,yoga,auctions….. Oh there are always some surprises….!!
Who Can Come?
Anyone can come. The idea behind this weekend is to attract as many kayakers as possible from novice to advanced. Even if you’re brand new to kayaking,you can come out and participate in a beginning course. The weekend is structured such that you get a chance to paddle with your “heroes”,“friends”,“better halves”and meet many new paddlers. Even if you are not paddling there’s lots to do and see.
Tell me more!
Details on the event are still emerging. Check back here or on our Facebook page for more details!
If you can’t find the information you’re after,you can contact us at email@example.com